Thursday, September 6, 2012

Less than one week and it's GO time!

Yesterday was my last monitoring appointment before going out to the fertility clinic. After each appointment, I patiently (just kidding...I'm bluffing, I'm definitely not patient) await my phone call from the nurse to tell me what the next step will be. I've been nervous about my uterine lining for the past 2 weeks. I feel like I should FEEL different and that the delestrogen injections couldn't possibly be THIS easy. How the hell did I get off scott-free from any side-effects? I deal with tiredness on a daily basis anyways, so I'm going to chalk my drowsiness up to my usual tiredness plus seasonal allergies. Over the past two monitoring appointments, I've learned that my uterine lining went from 6.9mm to 7.86mm. I keep hearing "10mm is ideal", so of course I have this swimming around in my head, too. Always something to worry about because I so badly want this to work for all of us!

My phone rang and it was the doctor himself. He said that the egg retrieval will be on Friday so that means the embryo transfer will happen on the 12th (Wednesday) instead of the 13th. GASP! The nurse talked to me afterwards and explained the new medications that I will be taking, starting tomorrow (Friday). I will start the intramuscular injections of Progesterone in oil (PIO), prometrium, an antibiotic, and a steroid. I will be on the PIO and prometrium every day for several weeks in to the pregnancy. Progesterone and prometrium are supposed to "trick" my body into thinking it's pregnant and to fluffen my uterine lining even more to create a nice little temporary home for these embryos. The anti-biotic and steroid are to prepare for the embryo transfer and I believe it is to help prevent my body from fighting the new inhabitants :). The most common complaint in regards to PIO is getting lumps in the butt (the oil is thick and it leaves lumps even after massaging), and bruising. Now that I've been on delestrogen injections for a couple of weeks, I'm not as nervous about intramuscular injections, but I'm not making any promises about not whining about the lumpy butt and bruising. Thankfully I have more than enough butt to find new injection sites every day!

My intended parents Skyped me this afternoon to tell me that they had lunch with their donor (she's not anonymous, obviously). Everything went well and they seem nervous and excited. We were hoping to have at least a full day before the transfer to meander around and get to know each other, but now it seems that we will be pushing it for time and they will have to see me laid up in bed at the hotel while getting to know me better.

Now my lovely coordinator has to try to bump up my flight to La Jolla to accommodate the change in plans :).

I'm nervous, excited, in disbelief that this is finally going to happen for all of us, anxious, and did I mention nervous........yes :) 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Welcome to Blogworld! I am super, super excited for you. Love your blog!

    (I am a huge fan of exclamation points!! You probably already knew that though.)

    ReplyDelete