Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Intended Parents - T&Y

The matching coordinator asked me one day "do you happen to have any potential surrogates completing the screening process who fit these requirements - at least 5'6", Minnesota resident, willing to carry twins, etc.". I thought for a moment, double checked the list of ladies that I had been working with - nope.........wait.........yes, me! She instructed me to finish the screening process, which meant; psychological evaluation and our physician's approval of my pregnancy and delivery records. I completed both before my profile was sent to these potential intended parents. I took a peek at their autobiography and decided that they were definitely worth getting to know.  Although I'll be honest, the thought of carrying twins scares the crap outta me - I will probably mention that a LOT during my posts.

The matching coordinator, intended parents (T&Y), and myself, introduced ourselves to one another over the phone on 4/2/12. We each had a list of topics to consider and I already had a few questions in mind. My initial impression of them was that they were very nervous and quiet. Although they are not from the United States, their English is even better than a lot of Americans I know. As our conversation progressed, we became more comfortable with each other. We discussed our lifestyles; mine is plain and boring, which is good for being a surrogate:), my job, the potential hospital and delivery room arrangements, etc. When I said "I would like you to be in the room to welcome your child/ren"........the sound of relief, pure joy and appreciation in their voices, made me melt. I hadn't put a lot of effort into my hair that morning, but at that moment I had really wished we were talking via Skype, just so they could see how much they made me smile during our conversation. These are my parents!

I often describe the matching process to potential surrogates when we talk during the intake call, but until 4/2/12, I wasn't able to speak from experience. We have a long road ahead of us and I am not one to throw caution to the wind with these things. I wasn't even planning to start "publishing" a blog until after I could positively say that I had peed on a stick and had a positive result (or hundreds of them, because I'm sure that's what I'll do). But I'm just so excited and I think getting to this point is even exciting in itself. Of course I look forward to the future and my only true hope is to be successful in carrying a baby (or two) for these wonderful people. I want to turn them from intended parents into parents.  

No comments:

Post a Comment