Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The screening process

I began the screening process with IARC in the spring/summer of 2011. Initially I had intended to fill out the application and gather my materials, send it back, and move on with the rest of the process. But I was under a lot of stress at work and while it continued to worsen, I made the decision to place my status "on hold". My thoughts at that moment were: "ok, I'll continue to look for another job and once I re-gain my sanity (or as much as I possibly can at this point!), I'll continue the process". I continued to casually search for positions that I thought I would enjoy and know a little bit about. I'm NOT a fan of change and will avoid it at all costs. This definitely includes employment. I have a degree in Law Enforcement and entertained the idea of picking up where I once left off, applying for open Police Officer positions. All I knew for sure was that I was incredibly unhappy with my employer and that I needed to go somewhere else. When I saw the post for IARC's Surrogate Coordinator position, I applied with the impression that, because they were giving kudos to those that were bilingual, I didn't stand a chance. I know a little bit of Spanish......Muy Bien! Oh, and let's not forget that I can sign the alphabet - that doesn't help, does it?! Fast forward to when I had my interview with "the girls" at IARC. They were wonderful and I could totally see myself working with them. I came from a place where I was the only employee, and while I sometimes enjoy working alone, I missed the friendship that I once had with co-workers. I was offered the position (obviously, here I am!), and gladly accepted. There was a LOT to learn and I guess I came to the right place! I completely expected my initial desire to be a surrogate to be crushed and completely sabotaged by knowing what "really" happens behind the scenes of surrogacy. I was wrong. Not only was I still interested, I was determined. After learning the ropes a little bit and settling in as best as I could, I approached the director, Steve, with my hopeful intentions of moving forward with this "journey". There was some discussion to be had between my co-workers, but in the end we agreed that this could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment