Sunday, February 10, 2013

Last lining check

Looking back at my last monitoring appointment, while I've been fretting all week about whether my uterine lining would be thick enough or not, last week the tech. told me that my lining was at a .7 and I couldn't believe it! After that, the clinic increased my estrogen in hopes of helping my uterine lining to fluffen up a bit. Yesterday was my appointment to check on this progress one last time before traveling to La Jolla for the much anticipated embryo transfer. If a surrogate's lining is not thick enough, the transfer will be cancelled, or even worse, she could be declined from ever being a surrogate again (if her body does not respond to the medications). I don't even think I let the tech. insert the ultrasound wand before I asked her what my lining was this time. She doesn't have much of a personality........so I usually try to just be quiet and let her "do her thing" while I'm there, without asking  too many question. When she said ".95"......I felt my heart sink. I could have thrown up at that point. I made the comment "oh wow, that's very thin, I wonder what's going on", she responded "no, that's pretty thick, that's like almost a CENTIMETER "wait a minute, rewind.....say WHAT?! So, you mean, this entire week (which has felt like forever) I've been under the assumption that my uterine lining was at .7 MILLIMETERS, while it was really being measured in CENTIMETERS?! Phew! In millimeters, my lining is actually about 10mm, which is wonderful and fluffy! Who woulda thunk it would only take the news of a fluffy uterus to make my week :) I've been on cloud 9 ever since! Now what will I find to worry about next?

We are bound for California on Wednesday February 13th, I have another appointment on Valentine's day at 9:30am (PST) at the clinic, and the transfer will be on the morning of the 15th. For Valentine's day, Terry and I will be going for breakfast, possibly to a movie, and definitely out for a nice steak dinner. I like my red meat very rare (I'd eat it raw, really) but that's a definite "no-no" for a surrogate during pregnancy, so I'm going to savor my potential last really great tasting steak dinner before the transfer, hopefully my last great tasting steak dinner for roughly 38 weeks :) I'll be on strict bed rest for the 3 days including and following the transfer. By strict bed rest, this means that I will only be getting up to pee and brush my teeth. It wasn't as bad as I thought last time, so I'm actually kind of looking forward to it this time! Terry has been getting more and more excited (although he won't admit it :) while he's making plans for what we'll do before the transfer while we're enjoying some nicer weather. Updates to follow :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow's the big day! Thinking sticky thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I'm so thankful for your support, you've been there for me through thick and thin, cheering me on all the way, and I admire you more than you know. Shawnee, thank you for your support and encouragement, I know you'll get there very soon one day. I'm sorry to hear the recent news, but I know that you will be back on the horse very soon, one way or another, you'll turn a very deserving couple into some very lucky parents :)

    ReplyDelete