Thursday, August 23, 2012

First intramuscular injection down....several more to go

I had my monitoring appointment today; they did a vaginal ultrasound to check my uterine lining (looks pretty fluffy in there, which is good for potential babies), and my ovaries (still don't understand the need for this, we're not USING my ovaries). They also drew blood.........this is something I will battle with forever I'm sure. It's a 50/50 chance that I'll wind up doing a face-plant on the floor when I have to have my blood drawn. But today was a good day, I didn't feel a thing:).

I received the call from the fertility clinic a few hours later to give me the "go-ahead" to start my intramuscular injections of Estrogen. "My" coordinating nurse at the fertility clinic, described the steps to giving this injection. She asked if I would have someone helping me, to give me this injection. I said "I'm not sure yet.......we'll find out how the first one goes!". I was SO relieved to find out that the reason there were TWO different needles for this injection was because the BIGGER one was to DRAW the medicine and the SMALLER one was to INJECT it. Phew! So all day I've been wondering "what's this going to be like?". I drew the meds and made Terry read the directions.........a few times. We paid special attention to the part where it said "stick quickly". He had to tell me to quit laughing so I'd quit jiggling (this was nervous giggling..........not "hey, this is fun" giggling"). I'm pretty sure he was as nervous as I was, but he wouldn't admit it (probably a good thing that he didn't admit it at that point:). He cocked the needle to the side and said "should I inject it like this, or like this?" Neither one of them looked good to me! But, it was so quick and painless! I couldn't believe it! Assuming we hit the right spot every time, this will be an easy bed time routine! Afterwards, Terry said "I don't know why, but I feel queasy". Good thing he has 4 more days to re-cooperate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment